How do I know if I'm not allowed to keep chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SweetLilRachy00, Dec 6, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Who would I call locally to verify that it's alright? I know it's too late and I'm already attached to the 12 that I have (and two insiders) but I've heard about the 14 yr old, just read that post, and now I'm wondering if it's alright where I live?

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    if you dont have a rooster id just not say anything to anyone,you would probally be better off

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Where do you live?

4. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    OMG I have a rooster alright. He crows all day and ALL night!!!! FIL is supposed to come pick him up soon because he's keeping me up all night. But I haven't had anyone complain.

PS-I'm not in a neighborhood, but just outside the city. My neighbor across the street is in the city, I'm county.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    If you want to know, you can check your local government website -- city or county, depending upon whether you live within city limits or not. They should have a posted copy of codes and ordinances. If you live in a city there will be a charter -- that is where you look, under "animals" probably. That, anyway, is how I found out. My guess is that if you don't live within city limits, there won't be any restrictions.

6. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I live in SC

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  8. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    I would think your local animal control department would know, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. If you call do not tell them who you are just in case you're not "legal".

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If you are outside the city limits then yes, you can keep your chickens without having to search around for a city municipal code.

Edited to add that you could always ask these guys: http://www.scpoultry.org/. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you want you to keep your chickens, find out anonymously!! Or don't even stir the pot at all.
    Or quietly go read through your town ordinances yourself, asking no one.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by