1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How do I know if my chickens are eating their food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by liz_s, Aug 4, 2010.

1. liz_s

liz_s Songster

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Hi!

My chickens free-range during the day. Because of the heat I usually put their food in the shade, but whether it's out in the open, or in their run under the coop, sparrows manage to eat it. I don't necessarily mind them eating it since the chickens are healthy, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for how to keep track of how much food the chickens themselves are eating... They definitely spend a lot of time eating other foods (carrots, grass, sunflower seeds, etc.), but I want to make sure they're getting the right nutrition.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Liz

2. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Maybe try feeding them in the coop. Easier to keep track. [​IMG]

3. liz_s

liz_s Songster

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    I do think feeding them in the coop would help, but they only go in there at night. Usually as soon as I open the door they pop right out. I'm not sure if they would figure out where the food is. They're still fairly young though, so maybe there's a learning curve... Thanks for the advice!

4. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Quote:No problem, might try feeding them right before you let them out for the day. Might work.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Feel their crop.. If it has food in it... they are eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: