How do I know if my guinea is male or female?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RoosterPecked, Nov 4, 2010.

1. RoosterPecked

RoosterPecked Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    I have a small flock ~ 6 hens, 2 guineas and 2 roosters that I am raising for eggs and enjoyment. My problem is I am not sure if my guineas are male or female. They both look alike so I am assuming they are of the same sex. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks,
    Dawn

2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Female guineas go" rik rak" or "buck wheat"

males go" kikikikiki"

hope that helps! [​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Males have much redder, larger helmets (on top of their heads) and wattles. Hens are less red and paler. I can usually tell from this.

4. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Also, welcome to BYC!

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Age old question, Dawn. The easiest way to sex a guinea is by their call. Males have a one syllable call and the female has a 2 syllable call that some say sounds like "buckwheat". There are subtle differences in adults, but sometimes they escape even the seasoned guinea owner. Best to rely on the call..........Pop

6. RoosterPecked

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks! A friend told me about this site yesterday and it has already been so helpful!!!

Quote:

7. RoosterPecked

Nov 4, 2010
    So Pop, all guineas pretty much look alike, it's just the calls that differentiate them. I must have a male and a female then because they both have different sounds. Thanks for the helpful information!....Dawn

Quote:Age old question, Dawn. The easiest way to sex a guinea is by their call. Males have a one syllable call and the female has a 2 syllable call that some say sounds like "buckwheat". There are subtle differences in adults, but sometimes they escape even the seasoned guinea owner. Best to rely on the call..........Pop

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:[​IMG] Very well said....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by