how do I know if my hen has a yeast infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paintedhorsegirl, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    How do you know if a hen has a yeast infection? She has had a pasty white butt for a couple of week snow, i brought her to the vets 2 weeks ago. They thought she had an egg stuck, washed her up and removed one with a soft shell? Sinse when she has continued with the pasty raw looking butt, has not laid any eggs . Its not lice, nothing is moving around near her vent. Also all my other birds are fine. Ive given her electrolytes, kept her out of the light, seperated her from the flock. Now Ive been giving her yogurt for a few days. She walks around in the barn and acts fine but she wont go out side anymore. Im trying to figure out what is wrong...any help or suggestions? do you think its a yeast infection? What else can I do to treat her.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    I've never seen a grown chickens derriere.. only my chickies... but are you sure its not the poopy butt thingie people discuss often? And that like on some other animals... the messy poo errr... is relocating itself?
    If not.. you could try one of those do-it-at-home womens tests from the store? [​IMG] Have no idea how well they work.. woo hoo for me! [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Add ACV to the drinking water and wash her and dry her off. The use just a cheap yeast cream on her.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    Shes still eating yogurt and layer pellet, I put APV in her water. Im going to give her a warm bath with baby shampoo tomorrow and spray her bottom with the iodine/water ...Hopefully this will all help...
    Thank you for the help...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    keep us updated on how she is doing. and we're pulling for her.. [​IMG]

7. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    She seems to be acted better today. Im still giving her ACV in her water, yogurt and offering layer pellets. She hasnt seem to want the layer pellets only the yogurt. she seems to have runny poo's all over the place, could the runny poo's be from the yogurt? She still had no interest in going outside. Oh and i did spray her bum with the iodine solution, she didnt like that. I will continue doing this, Im hoping she will feel well enough to go outside soon. any other thoughts on what I could do to help her?

8. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    YAHOO...Shes back outside free ranging, and layed an egg today:woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by