How do I know if my hen is sick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dweder, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I have a rhode island red, age unknown because I adopted her. I would guess under 3 years old since she laid every day all summer and fall without fail.

I am in Chicago area, very cold winter right now. She has stopped laying completely, for about 2 weeks now. Appears to be loosing feathers, can't tell if shes molting or not. She has no interest in treats like the rest. Hangs out by herself and is always puffed up. I see her eating sometimes, but not like usual.

Her eyes and nose are clear. No signs of coughing or breathing issues.

Is this normal winter behavior for older hens? My others are all pullets, with boundless energy. How do I know if shes having problems with her body heat regulation?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am worried mess as most of you can understand.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    She is in trouble. Urgently get her somewhere comfortably warm, quiet, with all her creature comforts nearby (food, water, oyster shell). Whether molt, not cold hardy, sick or some combination thereof, she cannot endure the cold right now. Then note her eating, pooping etc. habits (or lack thereof).
    JJ

3. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Thank you so much! I just needed someone to tell me what I was already thinking. I've moved her into the basement, since I have no other building that is warm. I do not heat their coop outside, so this seems to be my only option.

Once I can figure out what is going wrong with her, and cure her, it will then be a challenge to put her back outside into the elements........oh well, I can figure that out when the time comes...

Thank you again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by