how do I know if my rooster is sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denisemomof4, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I have a 5.5 year old bantam rooster that just sits in the corner looking ill. It's been going on for a month now. He's lost a lot of weight but I can't figure out what to do for him. His droppings appear normal but he just appears unwell.

What do I do about something like this? There are no symptoms. He was treated for coccidia with the rest of the flock over the summer so I don't believe it's parasites or worms. I'm so confused.

I've been reading around here and still don't know what to think. I thought maybe it was old age (I thought it was closer to 7.5) but now that I realize he's 5.5 (had to dig through email to see when I got him. I took him off of someone's hands)

If any of you rememember me, I wrote in here very upset about our polish. I thought she had broken her neck but you all directed me to wry neck. I nursed her back from the dead and three months out, I'm still syringe feeding her and she's still living in the house. I bought material for a diaper for her. I can't help myself. LOVE these chickens!

Any suggestions for my rooster? He should have a good couple of years left in him. I think I will add apple cider vinegar and chopped garlic to his water.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is he the only roo, or maybe another guy took his place? I just lost a roo, just dropped in rank so much, I think he gave up. [​IMG]

3. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I have other roosters, but this bantam rooster and a hen were getting bullied so now they have their own separate area. It's only the rooster and the hen. I've tried leaving him alone in the cage for a period of time but still, he just lays in the corner looking ill. I feel bad because he should live a few more years.

I don't know what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by