How do I know if my SS's will start laying soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillypurrs23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Hi, we have 4 Speckled Sussex that are 19 weeks old. I'm wondering if you think they'll lay soon? This is our first time having chickens, so could you tell me some signs? Also, I went out to the coop today, and our biggest one squatted for me.(I THINK it was 'The Squat' that everyone talks about...) She kind of squatted down, and she put her wings down a bit when I was about to pick her up. They talk a lot too, but the one who squatted is the loudest. She always just goes 'Buuuuuuuk buk buk buuuuuuuuuk' in a sort of scratchy voice. Here are some pictures: (The one who squatted is Nellie, so the close-up and the one after that.)
    Nellie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jasmine:
    [​IMG]
    Rosie:
    [​IMG]
    Ariel:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will start singing and doing the egg squat. They will also do a few dry runs in the nest box.[​IMG]

3. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    What are dry runs? They've been scratching around in the nesting boxes a lot, as if they're looking for something.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will go in and get comfortable then just set there a while and come out with no eggs. I guess it's like practicing their routine.[​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I love the breed and get a few, now and then. Got a brother who breeds them.

They are NOT the world's fastest maturing bird. Gotta accept that part of their makeup. They aren't likely to really kick it in gear until they are 22-24 weeks. Long days are coming, which will also help. Enjoy them.

6. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Oh yeah, they do that!
    I've noticed that. [​IMG] They aren't really as big for their age.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    i don't think thier combs look red enough yet. My SS Esther started at about 6 months.

8. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Has anyone had speckled sussex? If you have, could you tell me what age they started laying please?

9. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I think Rosie will be the first one to lay.

Mine started squatting 5 days before laying, so get ready!!! oh it is soooo exciting...

10. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I'd say yours are about ready, especially if they're already investigating the nest boxes. [​IMG] Photo #4 looks like she's maybe a little behind the others, but I'm no expert.
    I have 2 SS, they started laying around 20-21 weeks - they looked just like the photos of your Nellie when they started. I do remember that their comb and wattles got bigger and turned more red after the fact. I was told they (and the Brahmas) would be slower to mature, but they started right along with all my production breeds. Now at 9 months my Sussexes definitely have a lot of growing to do and you can really see the difference compared to other breeds, they are building HUGE skeletons but haven't started filling them out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by