How do i know if my three hens are eating and drinking enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dooner, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I bought a pre fab coop from ware, the chick n cabin and am struggling on a good spot to place the 24" metal feeder with holes and the water dish. The only place I could fit the feeder was in the upper enclosed space adjacent to the optional nesting box that hangs on the outside. I bought a plastic cup that I attached through the wire mesh on the upper platform next to the roosting bars. There really arent any other locations i can reach or wont be pooped in. I built and attached a seven foot run. I have added very little feed to the trough though they did clean out all vegetation in the run. It also has been raining alot. Can they not be eating because the enclosed spot is fairly dark? I could add a trough to the pen each morning but that will be a real act of contortion. Need some dvice for a newbie please.

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Hmmm--how many chickens do you have in it? I looked at it on the website and you definately have very little room. You have a fairly large run so maybe you could build an little shelter for the food and water to sit in. A simple raised box with an overhang should keep out the weather. They may be avoiding the setup you have now as it is too dark and inaccessable for them. Just my idea as to what I would do.

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Were they laying when you put them in this new coop? If they are laying just as well as before they are not being deprived of feed or water. If production has fallen off then you need to work on things.

4. Dooner

Apr 24, 2011
    I have 3 hens, got them on friday and have had two to three eggs a day, every day. The farmer i got them from said they were blacks from beaver dam hatchery who said they were a dekalb breed. I am new to this but i think they are pretty good size chickens. Would a picture help?

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Not really. If they continue to lay this well quantity of feed aqnd water are not a problem.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Since you just got them last Friday and they've been busy cleaning out all the vegetation from the run they probably don't have much interest in the feed. Once they've cleared the run they'll likely up their feed intake.

7. Dooner

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone, i am real excited about this venture, but I am a city person so this is all new to me. Most of you would get a real laugh at my experience so far. I already dragged the run to a new spot after four days. Once the grass is gone can i cover the ground in dried tall grasses from last year or other hay otherwise it is just gonna be muck again.

8. Dooner

Apr 24, 2011
    The more i read it sounds like eventually i should cover the run floor with gravel as more of a permanent solution rather than dragging it around.

9. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:there's tons of stuff about runs in the coop maintenance section of this forum. Also, PatwithChickens has a good essay on muddy runs.

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Sand in the run ROCKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by