How do I know if these chicks are splash or blue silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vpeterson, Aug 14, 2010.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

The mother was blue and the father was black. Are these chicks blue or splash ? What do splash chicks look like? Could someone post a picture of the difference between blue chicks and splash chicks when they are first born?

[​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks blue to me [​IMG]

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    If the parent birds are blue and black - genetically speaking you should only be getting blues and blacks. Splash is only created by crossing two splash or a splash and a blue.

Splash = BL,BL
    Blue = BL,bl
    Black = bl,bl

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They are blue.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Something's amiss here; there's no way that you could get all those colors if you had actual bbs silkies.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Splash chicks look white, then you start to see spots of blue on the wings as the first wing feathers come in.

7. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Hi,

A blue to black breeding would yield 50% blue and 50% black. Splash chicks have a grey silvery down when chicks.

The chicks posed in the front appears blue:)

Shari

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I assume that the whitish/buff chicks came from different parents. Or that both the blue & black parent carry recessive white, and those particular birds inherited it from both parents. Although at least one looks too buff to be a white chick.

9. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The whites are from a different set of parents. Both of those parents were whites.

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The whites are from a different set of parents. Both of those parents were whites.

NOW you tell us? Okay, from what I can tell, I'd guess that all three of the dark ones are blue. I don't see one that I think is black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by