how do i know if they are alive?

dfchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
NC
My chicks were due to hatch this past wednesday. We had a temperature drop in our hatcher and have had 1/3 of our eggs hatch. I candled them a few minutes ago and 1/3 of the eggs were way past dead, like should never have been put in the hatcher (really need to get in the habit of candling before putting in hatcher). Anyway, the other 9 eggs are filled with chick, just not sure if dead or alive. My hubby opened the air cell of one egg and there is a what appears to be fully formed chick all curled up. He did not break the membrane as there is some veining. I dont know if it is alive or not, what am i looking for?

I would probably leave them till Sunday, especially if you can still see veins. That being said, I am no expert. They have to draw all of that into their body before the can hatch. Any one else???

the chick my husband opened did not show any signs of movement, i told him i was pretty sure it was dead, despite the veining. Maybe i'll be wrong!

Quote:
you may still see veining but it very well could be dead. when my hatches are over and I know it-I grab a ziplock bag ad pip every remaining egg-I open a holethe size of a dime and watch for movement-I put my finger in there to nudge to make sure-Ive never been wrong yet-all have been dead
sickbyc.gif
to make total sure I then break a huge chunk of egg off and nudge again-in the ziplock they go at that point-

well that is depressing . . . here's to hoping! We did have one hatch today, he needed some help starting, but made it the rest of the way out!

I use a 100 watt bulb and put a box with a quarter size hole in it over the top of the bulb so that it is a least 1 inch away from the bulb. Yes, it will get hot so don't leave the light on long. I candle my eggs on the 7, 14, and again before going into the hatcher. You should see movement when you candle them. Good Luck.

Quote:
ooops sorry-I didnt mean to get you sad its just a normal part of hatching that sucks-Im sorry I hope you find moving peeps in there:)

I have hatched enough to know better than to put good eggs in as the first hatch of the year! I am happy with my 11, would like more. I will remain hopeful for the little ones!

Back
Top Bottom