How do I know she's stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Steve D, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Steve D

Steve D New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    We have 3 white leghorns about 2 1/2 years old, but are only getting one egg maybe every other day. How do I know which one is still laying (haven't caught any on the nest), and which ones have shut down?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock! [​IMG] Put a little blu kote or gentian violet on the vent of one bird. Take a different bird out and keep it separate in the coop or elsewhere. You will know in a few days. [​IMG] Also, the one who is laying should have more color in face, comb and wattles.

3. Scottankarens

Scottankarens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Scipio, IN
    That's a fine solution for seemingly a few birds. What if you have several 40+? Does the same method still work Thank you!

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Uhg! I've never had that many at once! I suppose if you put batches in separate pens and also try to catch hens in the act of popping out an egg, you could wittle it down over time. Idk how many nest boxes you have. There is trap nesting, I've never done it. Don't know if that is a realistic option for you.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by