1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I know what breed is right for us?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by browneyedgirl77, May 1, 2011.

1. browneyedgirl77

browneyedgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    I have spent many hours reading the posts in the forum. I have read the basics in the learning center. I have used the search tool to look up more specific answers to the questions I have. I read about the different breeds and even used the breed selection tool to help narrow down my options.

I have made a list of of breeds that, I think, are appropriate for the climate I live in, the temperament I am looking for, the personalities and breeds that I think would be good with my girls. The breeds I chose are : Brahamas, Frizzles, Buff Orpington, Silkies, Standard Dominiques, Sussex and Wyandotte.

I read in a lot of posts that Buff Orps are very good for beginners. All these breeds seem to be ok in warm climates and seem to be very friendly. I also read that handling them a lot when they are younger helps with how friendly they will be.

Since this is my first time with chickens, I would definitely love feedback and input from more experienced members here. Thank you for any input [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    A few of each? [​IMG] I started with BO's cause I read they were friendly, good with kids, not flighty, etc. And I wanted a pretty gold flock. Then I decided I wanted different colored chickens, eggs, types of feathers, and sizes, lol. [​IMG]

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    My solution-I have at least 11 breeds and the more I think about it the more breeds I think of that I have [​IMG]

4. browneyedgirl77

Apr 30, 2011
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    Lol. I think I kinda made a mistake. I know getting a few of each probably isn't the best idea. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me out of all the breeds I listed, which ones would be the best. I would love a colorful bunch too [​IMG]

5. browneyedgirl77

Apr 30, 2011
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    Quote:If it were up to my kids, we would have 20 or more [​IMG]

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    If you plan to breed seriously I would suggest not getting into to many. If you do, you wont be able to focus as much attention to breeding each breed/variety.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Frizzles are not a breed but a feather type, and Silkies are much smaller than all the rest, also very likely to go broody. Lots of folks mix sizes of chickens but sometimes it is a problem and you wind up needing a separate coop.

8. browneyedgirl77

Apr 30, 2011
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    We aren't getting to serious about breeding. It is more of a way for my girls to get used to them. At the moment we are going more for egg layers to get our own eggs.

Obviously I am totally new at this, so I don't even know if I am making too much sense..LOL!

How about this. Out of the breeds I have listed, what are the top 3 you guys would choose for us? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Buff Orpingtons, silkies, and sussex.
    My BO's are friendly, calm, and come running when I call. My silkies are littler, fluffy, and not as scary to people not used to chickens. (you'd be amazed by how many people are scared of a chicken). They don't come running, but they don't run away either. I want a speckled sussex, think they are beautiful. Don't have any though, so can't tell you anything about them.

10. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    What type of climate do you have? You mentioned warm climate but did not specify.
    Buff orps are a wonderful, docile breed, but they are more well known to be cold weather birds for their heavily feathered plumage. Australorps are a descendant of orpingtons and are also very friendly & calm. They are also a little smaller than the orp.
    Are you looking for larger birds or smaller? Orps are on one side of the size spectrum, while silkies are on the other. It is generally believed that the larger birds are more suited for colder weather, while the smaller ones are more warm weather birds.
    You may also want to take egg laying ability into consideration also. Do you want alot of eggs, or are you looking for pets?
    And just so you know, when buying bantams, they are all unsexed if buying chicks. That means you could wind up with roosters. And I have read somewhere that of all the breeds, male banties can be the meanest. That does not guarantee you will get a mean roo. There are a lot of sweet banty roos out there. I guess it just depends on how much time you are able to spend with them. Usually the more they are handled, the nicer they are, especially if you only have a few. But there are exceptions to every rule. [​IMG]
    Hope this helps you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by