How do I know what got my chickens?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Duker17, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I came home today to find that 5 of my chickens year old(including my BA rooster) had vanished. No feathers, nothing that would indicate there was any sort of struggle. My birds free range all dayon about an acre, but are out in the horse pasture with 5 horses, and are next to two dog kennels that have 3 dogs in them during the day. So whatever it was, it is pretty brave! I can't imagine it being a hawk since there were 5 missing, my only thought would maybe be coyotes? I have been seeing them during the day recently.... They have to free range, I don't have a run set-up for them and I would hate to keep them cooped up all day.

I'm stumped [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That's really strange that there were no signs. Hope you get it figured out!! We had a coyote run right across the street in front of the truck not to long ago. First one I've seen during the day!!

3. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Not a hawk(s) for sure. Coyotes seen in the daytime means plenty of them around. But still, five missing? What about the two-legged kind?

4. Duker17

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I can't imagine anyone took them if that's what you mean...we live out in the boonies so everyone close to us are our best friends and/or already have all the chickens they want! Its just a very bizarre situation, it was 50 degrees today so the snow has turned into a muddy mess, but I didn't see any unusual tracks...maybe something just really spooked them so they were hiding in the brush? I guess I will know early in the morning if I hear a rooster crowing or not!

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Stray dogs maybe?

6. Duker17

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Its possible, the only 2 neighbors we have don't have dogs, and I've never seen any strays, but its a possibility....and dogs may be more likely to come that close to our house/horses/dogs. I know we have a lab that kills chickens but DH always lets him run before the chickens are let out...maybe he just wanted to keep Cooper out of trouble? [​IMG]

7. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I have 2 Golden Retrievers that I trained to protect my chickens. My silkies free range with the dogs. I wish I could run over there and train your lab! Labs are very smart. Anyway, I still think it was most likely a stray dog that grabbed and ran. So sorry. [​IMG]

8. Grim

Grim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    not sure where you are, but around here (south alabama) we have a lot timber company land. they lease out the land for hunting clubs. some of the city folk will go to the pound and get a dog to run the deer. when the dog doesn't run deer or they get through with it at the end of the season. they let it go in the woods, and they pack up. deer season is about to end here. my neighbor has killed a couple ferals in the last 3 months. so could have been dogs.

coyotes are a good bet too. they get real brave. i killed one this evening. was deer hunting and he stepped onto the patch. my .45-70 worked just find on him.

9. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:That is so sad about the hunters just "losing" the dogs! Jerks. [​IMG]

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:That is so sad about the hunters just "losing" the dogs! Jerks. [​IMG]

I would not grace that type of person with the name "hunter"......it's those people that give hunters a bad name!

Larry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by