How do I know when it is in the right place????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have a 5 day old with a slipped tendon. I have read to get vet tape slip it in place then tape it. My question is how do I know when I have the tendon in the right place. I can feel the tendon move but, I have never done this before so I don't know where it is suppose to be. Should I line it up in the middle of the leg. Please any help would be appreciated. I think this might end up being the last chance I have before having to make a decision on whether we should cull or not. I don't want to cull please help!!!!!

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Can anyone help me??? I really don't want to have to cull it. When I tried earlier I couldn't get it to stay so I am gonna have to tape it in place. How do I know I have it in the right place.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow says slipped tendon is caused by vitamin deficiency or brooding chicks on slick surfaces such as paper. About vitamin deficiency caused slipped tendon it says "the problem should clear up" after fixing the diet. I looked through the rest of the book's index list of the topic, and it doesn't have directions. My guess is to approximate the tape's position based on the looks of the other leg, if you decide to tape it.

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    is that a leg tendon? haven't had to do this myself, but when unsure of what one leg should feel like, check the other leg, or a healthy leg on one of your others, and use that for comparison.

good luck with this!

5. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    dandydoodle, this was my experience with a slipped tendon: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201834&p=2

There
    was quite a bit of panic on my part, but I remember being able to feel it slip into the little groove on the back of her leg. Also, I could tell it was in the right place because her foot looking normal again, with the toes straight, not curled. I also had better luck getting it to slip into place with her leg bent instead of straight back like some recommended.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Hmmm thanks everyone. This seems helpful. Thanks, Kittyacid I will check out your post. Okay people mentioned vitamin deficiency, does anyone know what kind of vitamins I should give it??? Thanks so much for the help. [​IMG]

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    OKay so I have two chicks that were born with bent toes and the one has a slipped tendon. Since I have more then one with foot problems does that sound like it is because of a vitamin deficiency. Does that mean my hens have a vitamin deficiency or could it have been the dad. Should I be giving my hens something to make sure they don't have a vitamin deficiency?

8. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    niacin, I think.
    for the chicks for sure, maybe also for the hens.
    search the forum for "niacin" and I think you'll find what you need, details, dosage.

9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, I think I also saw something about vitamin B??? Do they have some kind of chick vitamin that has everything they need???

10. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Have you had any luck with getting it back into place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by