How do I know when my ladies are ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PlanetCamilla, Jul 28, 2014.

1. PlanetCamilla

PlanetCamilla In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi

I've got 7 lovely ladies living at our property and I have no idea how old they are or how long till they start laying. If I post some pics, can someone help me out?

Thanks

Camilla

2. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    Still trying to work out how to add photos.

3. toby8429

toby8429 In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Do they squat when u reach for them. If there squatting eggs won't be long

4. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some of my ladies. Any ideas on how long I have to wait till they start laying? They're not squatting yet I don't think (not noticeably)

5. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    they look quite young, and their combs and wattles haven't reddened up so I would say a month min more likely to be a few months. Make sure they have plenty of food, calcium, protein and free access to grit

6. bobshere

bobshere Songster

Yes they do look young. My girls looked like that at one time and they are 18 weeks old today and she has been laying well for a week now.. I have attached a picture of what they look like now. The lighter color one layed her first 6 days ago and hasn't layed since. Don't feed them calcium enriched feed such as layer pellets. Feed them grower only until they start to lay. You can add a seperate dish of oyster shell if you want as they get closer.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mortie

mortie Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    They do look pretty young. I would think you have several weeks to go yet. The squatting thing...you can't miss it if they do it (they might not). When you reach for them they will stop dead in their tracks and lower themselves down with wings slightly out. They look kinda heart shaped from above. If you are petting them and they are doing this squat/waddle thing - that's not it. You are looking for them to stop completely and hold their wings out a bit. If they do that, eggs are not far off. It isn't a requirement though. Plenty of people have girls that have never squatted for them. Yours look like they have several weeks before any of that starts I'm afraid.

1 person likes this.
  8. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    I thought they may have been a while off yet... I'll keep feeding them and talking to them and hopefully it's only about a month or so, I'm very impatient...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: