How do I lower humidity in homemade incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paddock36, Jun 12, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I built it myself from a Rubbermaid cooler following directions that I saw on BYC. I finally got the temp. at 99.7 but the humidity is at 65% which I thought was too high for new eggs. I have a fan to circulate air. I removed the water in the tub and I have both air tubes open. Do I need to make more air tubes to lower humidity or what? There are no eggs in it yet I'm still trying to get it regulated. [​IMG] But, I'm getting frustrated.

2. 4estgump

4estgump In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Anderson Co. KY
    I'm a new egg, but i built my bator also. I had the same problem. I had 2 3/4" holes close to the top of the bator. I put another hole close to the bottom of the bator. That fixed my problem. Now when my humidity gets high i open all 3 holes and it comes down.
    Hope this helps, 4estgump

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Songster

I built my incubator too, and had the same problem. I left it running with the lid slightly open until the humidity dropped and 'started over' with a very small water dish. It only has 2" circular surface area, then I put that plastic mesh stuff over it. I wanted to be able to raise and lower my humidity only a little bit. If I had needed to raise the humidity more, I would have put in another dish and added water with a straw via the vent holes. I also put in a narrow glass jar filled with water and lidded as a heat sink. On day 18 I took the lid off and the humidity went up just enough. It's deep enough that I don't have to worry about refilling it, but the exposed surface area is small.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Thank you both, I think I'm going to add another air tube on the bottom 'cause both of mine are on the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: