How do I lower humidity?

Harder84

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2019
Hello! I am on day 4 of incubation. I live in the midwest and cannot get my humidity levels below 62%. This is my first time incubating. I have 36 eggs. I have NO water in the incubator, vents are open, and I have tried putting a paper towel in there, a sponge, and rice in a sock with no success. I am also running a de humidifier in the room itself. (Room humidity is also in the low 60s) will eggs still be able to hatch with it being that humid? Are there other things I should try? Thank you for your help!!

Are you able to open your incubator a few times per day without compromising the heat? The good news is that during lock down you may not have to work as hard as some of us do to jack the humidity :)

I'd double check the humidity with another meter. If that the ambient humidity is in the 60% then you've done all you can. You might not have the best hatch rate but I'm sure something will hatch with that many eggs.

Are you able to open your incubator a few times per day without compromising the heat? The good news is that during lock down you may not have to work as hard as some of us do to jack the humidity :)
I am able to open the incubator but it seems like if I leave it open too long the heat goes out as well. Worth a shot though as long as temp doesnt drop too much!

I would definitely get another hygrometer and test it for accuracy. Look up “hygrometer salt test”. It’s a simple scientific test to verify the accuracy.
But no matter the number, keep an eye on your air cells and see how they grow. If they look super small on day 7, there are a couple other things you can try.

I would definitely get another hygrometer and test it for accuracy. Look up “hygrometer salt test”. It’s a simple scientific test to verify the accuracy.
But no matter the number, keep an eye on your air cells and see how they grow. If they look super small on day 7, there are a couple other things you can try.
Thank you! What are the other things to try?

Back
Top Bottom