1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I maintain humidity in HOVA. GEN. 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, May 12, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Duck eggs:

I have a hovabator 1588.

How do I maintain correct humidity levels in it when the eggs and egg turner parts, and floor wire BLOCK the clear view and stream of water into the barely visible water receptacle?

Do I have to take all the blasted things OUT of it in order to add water each time?

I am a total newbie at this--never done it.

What'll this repeated opening and emptying do to the hatch success?

Please, Hovabator Genesis 1588 owners!

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The water troughs are shaped like an L. Place the L so the long part faces you (upside down), and push the turner to the back wall, leaving a small gap between the front wall and the turner. This will leave a small part of the L exposed so you can see it and fill it up. Then funnel the water in and you can see how high the water level is. Hope that makes sense. It works for me, I haven't had a problem seeing the troughs.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Some people use Aquarium tubing, with a syringe or Funnle, I used too, but I learned not to worry about it so much, I just pour water in and if I have duck eggs I do not worry too much about the eggs getting wet, momma duck your be wet after she came back from a swim, so it should be a big deal.

Also you could open the bator remove 1 egg, and pour the water in where that egg had been.

4. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    What she said...

I used sponges throughout my last hatch and found them to be very easy to keep my humidity up. Just plain old cellulose sponges- got 6 for $1 at the dollar store. Cut them into halves and used 6 mini sponges. Have enough for another hatch.

It was easier for me to pop a wet sponge into the side of the bator vs try to hit the reservoir...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by