how do i make a home made feeder useing a 5 or 3 gallon bucket

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Jan 17, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i want to make one . right now im useing 2 - 12pound feeders for my flock of 22 and i want to make a bucket feeder with a bigger pan so they can eat it better. i feed them layer mash i need instuctions on how to make it flow thrue.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    We made a few out of 2 gallon buckets by drilling holes down by the bottom of the bucket all the way around then drilled smaller holes in the bottom and attatched a galvanized steel pan with nuts and bolts. I hang it by the handle on the bucket and it cuts feed waste wayyyy down and very cheap to make. The galvanized steel pans I got from walmart for $3 each

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have a galvanized hog pan like the one they sell at tractor supply . will that work for the bottom of the bucket feeder or is it too deep .

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  6. Yontz710

Yontz710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    I have made a couple of bucket feeders and it seems like the feed wants to hang up in the bucket. Any thoughts to help with that problem?

7. Dadspossum

Dadspossum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    well it has to be air tight so the water isnt canstantly coming out. we got like one of those sparklets water jugs and got a big plant tray (oversized) put them together and drilled holes. works great!!![​IMG]

8. grandfatherjwv

grandfatherjwv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Hi, I made flock feeder with a 5 gallon bucket and a deer feeder dispenser with a repeating timer, 1.5 seconds on, 1/2 hour off. The advantage[sp] of this is requiring the chickens be there to get fed. It works good with approx. 35 free range chickens, keeps them the off back porch and concentrated away from the house. Have pictures posted at a grandfatherjwv 'My Page'. Sorry don't know how to provide a link so you will have to find it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by