1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I make a website like this one?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    http://www.tabbyofficial.com/

I want to make a website like that one, a blog for my life/farm and other things too. I have no idea what she used because I can't find anything on the site that leads to wherever she got it from...
    It looks super pro and legit so that's why I'd like a professional looking blog like that instead of blogspot. If anyone knows what she's using please do tell! [​IMG]

2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    That looks like Wordpress (www.wordpress.com) with either a purchased theme or a tailor made one. Try contacting the owner for information.

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    If you have dreamwaver, you could probably do a knock-up job using a cheaper purchased template and modifying it. I actually think the website in question is very cluttered, and has made the mistake of mixing up various goals (buy my single, blog post, random photo of me, etc) in a way that does not showcase any of them, so I would recommend setting a solid goal for your blog before even entering into any thoughts on design. :)

4. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    I agree that it's too cluttered. Keep it simple!

I've never used Dreamweaver. How does it compare with Wordpress for users?

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    TT, I like dreamwaver alot better myself. I find it much easier to customize to a much greater degree without needing to really get into the coding.

Oh, but Wordpress is a free site rather than a pricey program! So that is a huge benefit. :D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Interesting. I must look into it. I refuse to tinker with coding so it might be good for me.

I'm struggling at the moment to get a premium theme into Wordpress. My son and a website designer friend of his have been scratching their heads over it too. It's a nice theme but complicated and I think the problem is the inadequate documentation that assumes too much knowledge or understanding on the part of the user. For example, it tells you how to set up a slider and add a sample image but not how to add additional images to it - and it's not at all obvious. Perhaps I should have taken my own advice and kept it simple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by