How do i make my chickens eat marigolds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1st_chicken, Oct 30, 2011.

1. 1st_chicken

1st_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I planted a ton of em this spring. And we had some snow last night so now my marigolds won't survive out anymore (to cold).

I have like a hundred plants, with nice orange yellow blooms. How do i get my chickens to eat them instead of ignore em?

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Try sprinkling some plucked petals for them. If they like them, they'll start eating the flowers on their own.

Deb

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You can dry them, grind them up and add it to their feed. Or you can simply feed cracked corn to get those nice orange yolks

4. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    Why do you want to make them eat marigolds?

5. RMBGKY

RMBGKY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    Mine won't eat marigolds in the garden, but they will eat every bit if I pull the plants and put them in the run. When the plants are young and strong I pick about a gallon of blooms each day and put them in the run. They are gone in a couple of hours.

6. AraucanaMad

AraucanaMad New Egg

May 26, 2011
    never heard of feeding them marigolds, does it do something for them?

7. Beekissed

Some people and some feed manufacturers feed marigold petals to improve egg yolk color....makes the yolks a deep yellow. This can be achieved by adding cracked corn to your feed rations also....or just free ranging your birds all the time.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Marigolds are also high in nutrients and good for overall health. If I know a food is good for my babies and I plan to feed it to the often, I stop feeding other food until they eat what is offered. You'll lose eggs at first but then they give in and all is well. I don't usually have to do that though because my chickens are pigs. [​IMG]

Try growing way more than that and feeding the whole plant. You can chop it up first ifin' ya want.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    What nutrients are marigolds high in?? Just wondered, as I have never seen anything willingly eat a marigold. They are often planted to keep bugs & stuff away from your garden. So what is the nutritional breakdown of marigolds? Thanks.

10. Beekissed

The only thing I could find on the nutritive value of marigold is the carotinoids(sp) present in the petals and how that will help keep orange fish orange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by