How do i make my chickens eat marigolds?

1st_chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
I planted a ton of em this spring. And we had some snow last night so now my marigolds won't survive out anymore (to cold).

I have like a hundred plants, with nice orange yellow blooms. How do i get my chickens to eat them instead of ignore em?

Mine won't eat marigolds in the garden, but they will eat every bit if I pull the plants and put them in the run. When the plants are young and strong I pick about a gallon of blooms each day and put them in the run. They are gone in a couple of hours.

Some people and some feed manufacturers feed marigold petals to improve egg yolk color....makes the yolks a deep yellow. This can be achieved by adding cracked corn to your feed rations also....or just free ranging your birds all the time.

Marigolds are also high in nutrients and good for overall health. If I know a food is good for my babies and I plan to feed it to the often, I stop feeding other food until they eat what is offered. You'll lose eggs at first but then they give in and all is well. I don't usually have to do that though because my chickens are pigs.
hide.gif

Try growing way more than that and feeding the whole plant. You can chop it up first ifin' ya want.

What nutrients are marigolds high in?? Just wondered, as I have never seen anything willingly eat a marigold. They are often planted to keep bugs & stuff away from your garden. So what is the nutritional breakdown of marigolds? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom