1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do i Make my ducks not mate

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckTuckandRole, May 9, 2016.

1. DuckTuckandRole

DuckTuckandRole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    So i bought "mallard" eggs online and only one hatched but it turned out to not be a mallard, it was a pekin. So my mom and i read that they can't be alone or they'll be depressed, we didn't want Boo to be depressed, so we went to a nearby farm and picked up a one week old Blue Swedish duckling named Daffy, this baby is a female they told us and we didn't know about Boo. But now we found out that Boo is a boy. we don't want anymore ducks, so is there a way to stop them from mating? Or will we have to get rid of Daffy? we don't want Boo to become depressed and Daffy has already seemed to imprint on me and Boo. What do we do?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    You don't have to stop them from mating to prevent having more ducks -- simply collect the eggs regularly to prevent them from being incubated and hatched.

3. DuckTuckandRole

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    Can we eat an early fertilized egg?????

4. emichels

emichels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Yes just collect right way

5. whitewingduck

whitewingduck Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    Osage Beach, MO
    Yes, some people prefer them.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes - development does not start until they are actually incubated by the duck - this happens after she has laid a clutch the size she feels she wants, stops laying and then begins to "set" the eggs by settling on to the nest. Simply collect daily. There is no difference between a fertilized and unfertilized egg prior to incubation.

7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

Technically there is a difference but it is only the shape of a speck that most people never even notice. I would post a picture but I have not been able to upload pictures for awhile now for some unknown reason.

8. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

I got chu

[​IMG]

White bullseye, just north of center.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. DuckTuckandRole

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    Thank you all! this is very helpful and I'm so happy i don't need to get rid of any of my ducks!

10. DuckTuckandRole

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    Thank you all! this is very helpful, I'm so happy that i don't have to get rid of any of my ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by