How do I mix (DE) Diatomaceous Earth with grain ...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by freefly, Jan 5, 2009.

1. freefly

freefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Guam
    I hope this is not a silly question
    I have received my DE Diatomaceous Earth from The holistic horse and I only feed my chickens grain (wheat), will it mix ok or is it supposed to be mixed with mash or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Not a silly question at all! [​IMG]

I mix food grade DE in our animals feed according to the directions/instructions recommended by Wolfcreek Ranch.

For grain and feed storage, they recommend using 1 cup of DE per 50 pounds of feed.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Excllent site, dawn 419, and I bookmarked it. Liked the detailed amt for people, doggies, poultry, etc. Tx!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    So glad I could help, chickiebaby! [​IMG]

I've been using food grade DE around here since June '07 am so glad that I did the research on it and tried it myself.

Dawn

5. freefly

freefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Guam
    Yes, this is a wonderful site. Thank you for your help Dawn

6. Rae_37066

Rae_37066 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Gallatin, TN
    NM wrong place sorry

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Me too. I feed it to them this way from the time I get them.

I am also known to fling the stuff all over the coop, run, chickens, cats, dog, around the bottoms of my veggies, and maybe my husband is he gets in my way!! [​IMG] I should have done the dog a little more cuz I noticed she's got worms this am [​IMG]

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The FDA suggest no more than 2% of DE to food ration. I just found this info. in countryside magazine. It has a lot of uses for the food grade DE. Hope this helps Jean

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I should have done the dog a little more cuz I noticed she's got worms this am

DE has no effect on internal parasites. Its ONLY proven use is as an "insecticide" and it only works if it's DRY.

Depending on the type of worms you saw, you can either use Safeguard 10% liquid wormer, or Ivomec 1% injectable (both given ORALLY)

The Safeguard dosage is 1 ML per 5 lbs of body weight.

The Ivomec is 1/10 ( one TENTH) ML per 10 lbs body weight

DO NOT use Ivomec on any "Collie" breeds or mixes

Ivomec will NOT kill tapeworms, but WILL treat for heartworms and all others. Use the Safeguard for tapeworms​

10. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    The shipping and handling charges for ordering DE online runs $24.00 and up. You can go to the Perma-Guard website to locate a dealer that might be within driving distance. I found 50 lbs. of food grade for $25.00 at a location within driving distance.

As someone else stated (forgot who) I, too, sprinkle it everywhere; on the dog, cat, chickens, under appliances, and feed it @ recommended 2% ratio. Some people drink the stuff mixed with water, but I'm not brave enough to try that.

Just be aware that you need to use the food grade DE, it's labeled "Fossil Shell Flour"; the other forms of DE have had chemicals added.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by