How do I move 100 chickens from Ca. to Florida

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crystalchic, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    Does anyone know how I can get my flock from California to Florida. I need to have answer by June. I have more than 75 chickens and less than 100. I am sorry that I dont have the exact number yet

thank you

2. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Get a big moving truck. You should be able to fit most of them in it and then drive it to FL.

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    i would say horse trailer with hardware cloth covering any large openings [​IMG] That's a tough one.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Just try and think it through very carefully, you should not have a big problem with a little foresight.

AL

5. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah---a horse trailer might work, as long as you cover the openings!![​IMG] My Dad once rented a U-haul and moved a Buffalo from Ohio to Florida--they stopped every hour to give it fresh air!! I'm so sure it was NOT covered by the insurance!!! LOL

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Sounds like a big problem. Would you be able to give or sell the chickens in Ca. Move only the eggs or purchase new ones in FL? Seems like a long hot drive for the chickens if you take them. Good Luck

7. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately not 1 at a time. [​IMG]
    I know not funny. But they should be fine as long as they are warm, dry, and have food/water.

8. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    there has to be a moving company that does large quantity chickens at one time. I think that keeping them cool and dry from rain would be more of a problem then keeping them warm being that we are moving in june or july.
    I can never sell these chickens they are my pets. I also have an African grey parot, and a cocketiel bird that will be moving with us.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I think a stock trailer would be your best bet, maybe modify it inside with cages or divide it so you can move the birds from one section to another to clean if necessary. That type of trailer would give you some air flow. I think providing water would be the main problem and refilling so you may want to bring a hose that hooks to a faucet depending on the type of waterers you use.
    Also if you do that, put the birds in at least a few days before you go so they have time to get used to the trailer, maybe even use it as a coop for a couple weeks. I think that would help with stress if they were already used to the trailer before you moved it.

I drove across country with a parrot and a cat, but they could just be in carriers . We bought a special cage online for the parrot that is hard plastic , round and could be hooked in via the seatbelt. It worked out great. We brought a separate cage that we put in the hotel at night so he could have more space and get a break. His normal cage was packed in the trailer. Both of the new cages were used around the house for a month prior to the trip so he knew them.

I think I'd prefer to move my chickens myself if they were my pets.... trusting and finding a moving company would be tough. I think I would downsize though.. that's a lot of chickens to move!

Good luck!

Nancy

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I have transported young chickens (and smaller numbers) on shorter trips (through a couple of states) in a SUV & did not find that easy. I "tried" to keep them water but found that it created such a mess when spilled that I elected to stop and fill water containers and let them drink periodically. I also had to leave them in the vehicle while I slept (lightly) at a motel-- I cracked the windows very good and only slept about 3 hours and then went out & stayed with them. I was delivering them to someone else.

We are planning a similar long distance household move in about a year or so (and I have been worrying about it already). I am wanting to take all my chickens with me plus two dogs and a cat so I am very interested in your experience. For now I have been dreading the thought of the move as we have lots of personal property (which I cannot fathom moving it all).

Good Luck & let me know how you do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by