how do I move my broody ? ? help (pics added)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Ok I am going to move her tonight and need advice PLEASE!

First, the nest I want to move her to is elevated, is this okay? or will this cause problems when the babies arrive?

Second, this is her 2nd day do I need to be carefull on how we handle the eggs?

Third, When I move her should I just carry her? Or should I transfer her to a box or something? The nest box is a converted milk crate attached inside a small coop.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    OMG! it just dawned on me... she is not a year old and neither is the roo, CAN she have chicks? I think I read somewhere it's not recommended under a year old.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:How elevated? After the hatch is done momma will take them out to see the world and if it's too high they might hurt themselves jumping down.

Just handle them like you usually do. You don't want to shake them up or crack them, but you don't have to put them back in the same order of turned the same way.

Depends on your hen. Move her whichever way you think will cause the least amount of stress. Do it after full dark if you can. If you can have somone carry the eggs and put them in the new nest while you deal with the hen it will go smoother. I've read about people putting the hen on the nest and then giving her the eggs one by one so she can tuck them under herself, but with a first time mom I don't think I'd try it that way. Just get it done as quickly and calmly as you're able.

[​IMG] Good luck and keep the updates coming! I love broody hen threads! [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:No worries, lots of pullets go broody. As long as the roo is old enough to "do his job" and she is laying regular sized eggs and not tiny little pullet eggs you'll be fine. People hatch the little pullet eggs too, but there is a higher rate of quiters with them. Have you been getting fertile eggs?

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yes, my free rangers eggs are always fertile, there is one roo between three hens so he keeps himself busy! [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Each hen comes with her own component of broody skills & determination. Some broody hens could be strapped to a rocket and sent to the moon where, right after landing and taking a dust bath in nice moon dust, they would make a little nest and collect some moon rocks to incubate. Others want to quit the job if you just look at them funny.

But most will do fine if you move them after dark and try to keep things in the new nest as similar as possible to the old one. If she's already nesting in a portable container move the whole container with her in it. If the nest can be moved, try & slide it into a box or onto a piece of cardboard. If none of that is possible, then just try to make the transaction as smooth & seamless as possible. Have the new broody pen already set up so all you have to do is add her & her eggs. Maybe even put a few of her warm eggs in the new nest, then move the hen, then give her the rest of her eggs.

We always like watching the broodies tuck the eggs underneath them, dipping their heads under their breasts as they push the eggs in, then they do what we call the "Chickie Cha-Cha" as they bop from side to side adjusting their eggs beneath them.

It might also help to keep her new location shaded well so she's "in the dark" in more ways than one about her new home. I wish you & your hen the best of luck, let us know the outcome!

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    moving the nest is not possible and neither is making "like" her first one... she made herself comfortable in a plastic bin filled with tubes (like the kind you use to tube on the river) LOL! this is one crazy bird!

[​IMG]

8. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    The broody is likely to be attached to the original nest and may leave the eggs in the new space. When we moved our broody, we had to put a blockade on the nest so that she had no choice but to sit on them. After a night of that, she was fine. This worked well for us because she was in a rubbermaid bucket turned on its side. We simply put the lid up against it so that she could not get off the nest.

I was surprised that it wasn't the eggs that called to her it was her nest that she chose and arranged. She didn't really care if the eggs were in it or not. So keep that in mind. Other than that, the move went smoothly.

As far as it being elevated, yes the chicks will hop out and may fall if it is too high. Low is better. Once you move her, you don't want to move her again.

Happy Hatching!! We are about to hatch some more, but not going to wait for a broody. We are going with a homemade bator. Wish us luck! I will miss the broody hen experience. It was really fun watching her care for her brood.

eta: Our broody was about 9 months old when she did the job. She had a few moments of forgetfulness, but otherwise did a good job. We kept her locked in her own space so the others couldn't torment her (which they were doing and have continued to do ever since), so she was able to stay focused.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    good luck with the new bator! So far so good...we had a successful move tonight, we will see how she is doing in the morning. She seems pretty determined. I also discovered she has a clutch of 13 eggs! I hope that's not to many!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by