How do I move my broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosyposyosy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    I've tried about 3 times, by putting her in a nest in a cage, with her golf ball, but she refuses, but will be happily broody in her nesting box, outside the cage... Do I have to move her at night?

2. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Songster

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I moved mine at night. At first I had a light on so I could see....but she could see as well and wasn't happy. She kept leaving the new nest box. When I turned the light out and put her in the box she stayed. She's been there every since!

So, I would say move her at night and keep it dark.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    Thank you!
    It's weird, because the first time she was broody, and I tried to break her by keeping her outside the coop, she just plopped right down, made a nest, and went broody there. She eventually stopped when it started raining though [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always move mine at night too....

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have never successfully moved a broody. I hope you have better luck than me.

6. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Songster

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    What happened? Did she just not sit or did she get up after a while? I moved mine last Sunday and she is still sitting on the eggs. Hopefully she will stay....

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    well, i kind of forced her down, she'd sit for a while, but not put the "eggs" under her. she'd get up. i put her in the nesting box, she fluffs herself up, takes the eggs joyfully, and wont get off the nest unless its absolutely necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: