How do I plant eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaBean, May 6, 2009.

1. MommaBean

MommaBean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm a new chicken Momma. I have 15 sex-sal-link layers. One of them is broody. I am going to get some fertilized eggs from a friend and I'm wondering what the process from there should be? Should I just mark them and stick them under her with the unfertilized eggs that she's sitting on. I will take the unfertilized ones away. This is all new for me so any info would be great!

2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Quote:When you get the fertilized eggs just swap them for the unfertilized. The hen will never know the difference. I would take a sharpie and mark the large end with the hatch date (21 days) and let it go from there. You will still have to collect the unfertilized from under her daily, because they will be laid in her nest, unless you have them separated. .

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Take the unfertilized eggs away. They can rot and explode. Mark the fertilized eggs, and check under her frequently to remove any new eggs that other hens may have laid in the nest.

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I would use a pencil or crayon to mark the eggs. A Sharpie has a strong smell, and could also affect the development of the chick.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Sharpie ink only has a smell for a few seconds until it dries. It dries almost instantly. I've marked eggs with black sharpies for years, and it doesn't hurt the eggs. It doesn't leak through the shell. Mark an eating egg with a sharpie, then when you break it open, look inside the shell. You'll see it does not soak through the shell. It works great, and it won't rub off like pencil or crayon.

This thing about markers hurting eggs is nothing but a modern "old wive's tale". Thousands of people mark eggs with sharpie, and they hatch, and the chicks are fine.

6. MommaBean

MommaBean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks so much for all of your responses!

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use a fine point sharpie marker to mark all my eggs. If you use a crayon or a pencil when marking a broody's eggs, eventually the mark will be rubbed off. Even with the sharpie, by the time the eggs hatch the mark is very faint.

Like the others have said, just take the bad eggs out and put the good eggs in. You might want to do it at night when she is sleeping though, if you value your skin [​IMG] Or wear gloves [​IMG]

We just sit the eggs in front of our silkies when they go broody. My son loves to watch them 'check' the eggs and tuck them under their bellies! But silkies are so cute, how can you resist seeing them do something so adorable?? And the look they have on their faces when they bring their head out of under them, only to find yet another egg in front of them?? OMG, it's so cute!! But they don't even try to peck, so it's safe with them. The game hens get set at night or by my dad, they are mean broodies!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by