How do I position the eggs when I take them out of the turner?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by playswithfowl, Feb 19, 2008.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Tomorrow is day 18 for my eggs and I know that I am supposed to take the eggs out of the turner, but how do i position them when they are out of the turner. Do I set them on their sides or do I out them in an eggs carton or what? Also, should I put some sort of covering over the wire floor of the incubator, will it scratch them?
    Sorry about all of these questions, it is my first time incubating.

Thank you,
    AJ

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    keep them on there side in the bator. they will turn and pip

forgot to add leave the wire floor open. They need to grasp woth there feet. it will help with crooked toes

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Another question, When I have the light on for them on (I'm using a 100 watt bulb) do I leave the light on 24/7, or do I turn it off at night? I will have at the most 26 chicks.
    Thanks again, AJ

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    it should be on 24/7 at a constant 95 degrees. decrease 5 degrees every week after. please use a red light or infrared bulb to prevent feather picking and your welcome

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I don't use a red light but I never have that many chicks either. If you can find a 100 watt red buld that would be great. I have never found one that low they all seem to be 150-200 watts and that is pretty warm for a small brooder if it is in the house.

Try to think about how a mama hen hatches her eggs and if you try to follow the way she does thing you should be fine. In my incubator, I try to prop the eggs a bit so the large end is elevated. I use pipe cleaners to rest them against. This is helpful for eggs that are more rounded and not as ( egg ) shaped as others. It helps the chick position its self where the head is up and they pip on the right end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by