How do I prevent chick losses after they arrive?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I ordered 4 chicks and I don't want to loose a single one. While the shipping should go as planned since they are due to hatch and be shipped Sep 9 from Meyer Hatchery I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent losses after they arrive. I didn't order any special food or water additives with them to help them survive. But other then that, what should I do as soon as they arrive? Food? Water? Put them under a heat lamp immediately? What? PS: I heard you should open the box in front of the person who delivered it. Why?

You should put them in their brooder as soon as they arrive. Dip their beaks in the water, and show them the feed. To give them some energy, put a few tablespoons of sugar in the water. Electrolytes and probiotics would be good ideas too. Giving them some scrambled or hard boiled eggs when they arrive would also help.

I can't answer your second question. I think that it has something to do with having another witness if there are any dead chicks, and you want to be refunded, but I'm not sure.

I can do the sugar. But I have two questions.

1. How much sugar do I add?
2. I have organic sugar right now in opposed to white sugar. Will the chickens care what sugar it is?

I may or may not be able to get some water additives. I might look at my local feed store to see.

You open the box at the PO in case you need to make a claim for dead chicks. Once you leave the PO they are yours and your problem. Most all hatcheries will replace or refund the $$ for loses during shipping.

The reality of raising chicks is you are going to lose some. Shipping adds a layer of stress so expect to lose at least one. If 4 hens is all you can have, I would still order 5-6 to cover any loses or roosters. Chicks and hens fall over dead just because they can. Nothing that you did or could of done differently was going to change the outcome.

Most chicks will dive right into the chick starter. You can mix some yogurt in with starter and I add some Diamond V (prebiotic) for the first few days.. If they eat it, they eat it. If they don't, they don't need it.

I don't have a PO box. I'm getting it delivered straight to my house. What should I do when it arrives? Open it in front of the person who delivered it? What?

The hatchery will put your phone # on the box. When it gets to the PO, an employee will call you (expect a 7 AM call) to come get them. Saves them from riding around with the delivery driver potentially all day and roasting in the truck.

Last edited:
The hatchery will put your phone # on the box. When it gets to the PO, an employee will call you (expect a 7 AM call) to come get them. Saves them from riding around with the delivery driver potentially all day and roasting in the truck.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom