How do I pull stuck feathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CathyM, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I had clipped the wing of my barred rock, and I can see that she is growing in the new wing feathers, but the old clipped ones haven't fallen out (like they did on the other barred I clipped)... I tried this morning to pull one - I even grabbed on and let her try to pull away (which is what she wanted to do), but the feather stayed tight. How do I help her molt these wing feathers? She's almost finished molt otherwise, I think.

Any advice appreciated!

2. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    they should fall out eventually. I haven't clipped my chickens wings yet, but I do know from when I clip my Macaws wings that the clipped feather falls out on it own and in it's own time.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, please just let it come out on it's own. You can pull it various ways, but really they'll fall out and the chicken doesn't want the hurt involved in pulling it.

4. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    It was the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens book by Damerow that suggested that clipped wings sometimes need to be "helped" out. The new feathers are already halfway up the old feathers... I just don't want her to be uncomfortable or in pain from dual feathers where there should be just one set. And I'm going away for a week in a couple weeks, so I don't want to leave her uncomfortable if I should have pulled the feathers.

5. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    Okay, it's been two months since I posted this, and those clipped feathers have not fallen out on their own. [​IMG] I can see new feathers about half size, but the old feathers are blocking them. I've tried just tugging, but the old feathers won't come out. I'm afraid to hurt my chicken by not knowing where to put pressure, or by pulling wrong. And it's hard to tell if the stuck feathers are causing my chicken discomfort.

Will someone who has had and solved this problem please respond? How do I get those clipped feathers out for her? Thanks!

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I don't have an answer. [​IMG] Can anyone else help the OP with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by