How do i raise meat chickens???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tylerhorseman, Oct 17, 2009.

1. tylerhorseman

tylerhorseman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanna, IN
    i was wondering if i just throw meat chickens right in the coop or do you have to raise them the same was as the layer hens??

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Maybe at first you could have them together but they are very messy and l would move them apart by 2 weeks, they can be aggressive around food. They do taste great!

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Raise them seperately, for a number of reasons. First, they need different food than regular layers. Second, your layers won't get a chance to eat if they have to compete with meaties. Also, meaties poo so much that you just can't keep them in a regular coop. The best way to raise them is using a moveable tractor.

4. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

it really depends on what type of "meaties" you want. if you decide to go with "meat birds," you should separate them, as the others said. but if you instead go with good dual purpose birds you can keep them in with your layers. we process our extra roos for our meaties. this does mean that they usually get separated from the rest of the flock, but that's so they don't mate with the hens, not because they need special attention. dual purpose aren't going to give you huge birds like cornishX will, but they are generally a lot less work and feed for what you get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by