how do i re-integrate my chicken into the flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsybitsyfroggy, Jan 5, 2013.

1. itsybitsyfroggy

itsybitsyfroggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    My chicken got brain damge a few weeks ago. she is a couple of months old. she has been staying in my basement for a little bit while i hand feed her. she has no balance and when she's just standing there, she will spin in a circle, squak, flap her wings, and fall down. the 5 other chickens in the flock are pecking her so much and i am worried that i wont be able to get her to be a part of the flock again. when she is in the coop, she is so scared of the other chickens that she hides in the corner but when she comes back inside she makes her lost call and seems upset that she is away from them. one time i walked into the coop and the others were surrounding her, pecking her and she was lying on the ground not even trying to defend herself. i cant keep her in the basement forever but im worried that the others will kill her. What do i do?

2. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    If she is sick or hurt they will most likely finish her off. As for her hiding in a dark corner this I think is normal until she feels safe to go out. I would allow her to do this for at least a few days if she needs it however, you should start her off slow and as if she is completely new to the flock by using something like a dog crate in the coop so they can see each other but not attack the new comer and when you mix them expect some pecking as they do this to set up a pecking order in the flock but just know where to draw the line between some pecking and bullying or full blown attack.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

As long as she is acting so differently from the other birds she will be in danger of being attacked. Unless she is able to recover and be mostly normal they are very likely to peck her, to death even, not a nice way to die. It sounds like she has no ability to defend herself or even get away so I would not have any plans of putting her back in the flock if it were my bird. Has she shown improvement since this happened? If she is slowly improving she might eventually be able to rejoin the flock. If not, I guess you'll have to decide if her health issues and having to live alone equals any kind of quality of life for her.

4. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Have you considered crating her in your coop while she gets better at least with this she will be with the others and not so lonely.

5. itsybitsyfroggy

itsybitsyfroggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Thank you. we have put her in a dog crate in the coop with the others. i think she is actually going down hill. i hope she starts to get better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by