How do I replace my hens with chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iluvmichickens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. iluvmichickens

iluvmichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    Hi everyone! [​IMG]
    I have 7 hens that I will be replacing with chicks. I will be getting the chicks next week. This is my first time with chicks - yikes! Anyway, once the chicks are big enough I will be putting them in the chicken coop that now houses my hens. My concern is how to get the coop ready for the new chicks. As far as I know, my hens don't carry any disease or bugs but just to make sure I'd like to give everything a good clean. Any suggestions on how to do this? Or how long to let the coop sit empty before putting the chicks in there?
    Any input would be wonderful - thank you!!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    You need to clean walls, perches, ground, etc with chemicals. "SITTING" is not good enough.

I've read about many different products available for a "CLEAN OUT", but have not had to use any of them yet.
    Hopefully, somebody with personal experience will respond.

The only product I have had to use has been Adams flea and tick spray and dip. LOVE this stuff !

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    So you plan on culling or disposing of your hens before putting the chicks in there?

I would scrub EVERYTHING with a mild bleach solution and let it dry in the sun as best you could.

Just because your chickens aren't exhibiting any disease doesn't mean that they may not be carrying something. Adult chickens can deal with coccidiosis better than chicks can and also with some viruses. Raking the run and spreading it with DE will also help deal with fleas, mites and lice.

4. iluvmichickens

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the input! I generally try really hard not to use any chemicals if at all possible since I have a 5 year old who is constantly in the coop! [​IMG]
    I thought maybe if I let the coop sit a month or so, that if there were any bugs they would die. [​IMG]

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bleach isn't really a "chemical"... ok, it is, but after it dries it becomes inert and will not harm your child. I'm a little "funny" about chemicals too, but bleach is practically my best friend, especially where chicken clean up is concerned. Letting your coop "sit" doesn't go very far in terms of cleaning. There are a lot of bugs and parasites that can live for months without a host. A good cleaning will not only kill them, but it will ooze into nooks and crannies in which the little boogers hide.

Jenny

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Iluvmichickens,

Please, forgive me. I want to piggy back on your question and get additional details . . . .

Miss Jenny, My coops are occupied right now. Would it be possible to let my chickens out in the morning and then spray everything down and then let everyone return to the coop in late afternoon to roost? ?

How much time is needed after applying the weak bleach solution before allowing chickens to re-enter.

When you ladies say "WEAK" . . . How weak ? ? ? How much bleach to 1 gallon of water ? ?

Once again - - please forgive me for interrupting Iluvmichickens . . . .[​IMG]

7. iluvmichickens

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    I could handle the bleach. What about vinegar and water? I had heard that cleans well also but I'm not sure if it would do as good as bleach?

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Here's another approach....unless you have had illness in your old flock, you should expose your young chicks to the dirt in your run and the bedding from your hens as soon as possible. I'd even use some of the bedding in your coop for your brooder pen.

Exposing them early and often to normal coop/run pathogens will give them a more developed immune system. And forego the medicated feed...not necessary and only compromises their immune systems when you feed something that has a thiamine inhibitor.

Take this from someone who is a third generation chickener...no illnesses in my coops. Ever. I always expose the chicks to the soils and the flock as soon as possible. Never use any chemicals, disinfectants, treatments around my flock.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Bleach/water mixture...

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:I worked in food service for a lot of years and I go by feel. When the bleach water mixture barely feels "silky" when you dip your hand in and rub fingers together, it's good for sanitizing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by