How do I revive my hen from heat exhaustion and dehydration

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Castaway, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Castaway

Castaway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    My chicken appears to dying. She and another chicken were in the coop and it appears there was not enough water.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I wish I could help. I can only suggest try putting her in a cool place and giving her some water with a syringe. Maybe that will help if it's not too late.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Get to a farm supply store,feed store or pet shop ASAP and get the electrolytes you mix in their water. Mix up a batch and make sure it's good cooll water. Keep it fresh and cool. That will help replenish her system.

Larry

4. Castaway

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    I moved to a cooler place and put ice on and around her. She doesn't move unless to douse her with water, and then only to crawl a inch or two. I don't have syringe.

5. Castaway

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    I'm off to the store. How do get her to drink it?

6. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Get a syringe while you're there!!
    Good luck

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Having the ice around her and cooler area will help but she really needs to drink plenty of water to get over the dehydration. The electrolytes I mentioned work similar to Gatorade for someone working or playing sports. Everyone should have a stash of electrolytes and vitamins on hand for emergencies(helps when you have sick chickens too).

Larry

8. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I would try giving gatorade now and have a family member rush off to supply store. If you don't have a syringe try dripping beak into the gatorade. My chickens love gatorade. Wishing you well

9. Castaway

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    I'm back from the store. good news is she tried to walk. And did for a short time. Now she's resting.

10. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Keep us posted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by