How do I save my baby chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WV Chicken Man, Jul 10, 2010.

1. WV Chicken Man

WV Chicken Man New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I have several baby chicks. They are over 60 days old. One of them recently got its wing hurt, and it had to be amputated. How do I keep it from getting infected? I want to be as gentle as I can be with it. Please someone, tell me how to help my baby.

2. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    here in the uk most farm supplie places sell a purple spray on antiseptic wich is mostly used for sheep etc but i have used it many times on chickens to great effect, because its spray on you dont tend to disturb the scabs eigther wich is good

3. DKPoultry

DKPoultry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    I bet you may be talking about Blue Kote... very good stuff. I used it on a new hen I got that had been beat up by a roo and I use it on my rabbits who have very sensitive skin and it works great. At our local Tractor Supply, they use it on the new chicks that have cuts and such...
    but it does turn your hands a really dark shade of purple and I always end up with purple specs all over me [​IMG]

4. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    thats the stuff, i didnt use a name as its called diff things in diff countries, but i agree its great stuff works well and you dont disturb the wound when applying it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by