How do I select the right RIR rooster for my flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by can you hear me now?, Nov 25, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am intending on breeding my own chicks, not having to depend on a hatchery to supply my birds. As a result i will be breeding 4 or 5 different types of birds. I currently have 4 RIR roos and am curious in the qualities that I should be looking for in the one that I am goinf to keep. I don't care if they are mean or nice to people since they will be housed differently than my hens. My main concern is what I should look for in the breed standard for the best bird to keep. I am sure it will help to say I also sell eggs to friends of mine and and am looking for hearty layers for my hens. last question is how old are they going to be before they are old enough to fertilize eggs? Mine are at about 5 months.

2. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Any pictures of your cockerels?

3. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not at the present but will be able to post some tomorrow. got one runt but he seems to have that best desired dark red that I have been told to look for. On the other hand i have a larger one that has a great comb. the other two are just average. Not real sure but I am worried if I keep the dark on that it will affect the size of the eggs the offspring lay. I am looking for a good large egg.

4. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I have some pretty decent RIRs, and can post some pictures of my old cock if you like.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    please do post a pic. I have had four RIR given to me this year. Two already laying, one is still pink combed. There were supposed to be two, but one is a boy, so I have a young cocerel, and a young pullet and two hens that have been laying but quit because the guy fell on hard times and was only feeding them cracked corn "when he could" and they are skeletons and feathers right now. I am hoping they recover well and lay again. One of them brooded some eggs this fall. Anyhow, I'd like to see what a good RIR roo looks like.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I think that would be great. I need something in which to look at for a decent model. My mind would be at a better ease if you did.

7. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Here is with his hens

[​IMG]

By himself

[​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Thank you very much. That is an absolutely beautiful bird and an excellent bird to model what I am looking for in my for younger roos.

9. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Wow! That is a very handsome RIR! Love that coloring on him! [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Those are some fantastic looking hens you have too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by