How Do I Spot Cock-Fighters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dta115, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dta115

dta115 Hatching

May 15, 2010
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    My parents have 2 roosters that have been in their yard for a while. They were getting on their nerves (crowing) and they looked thin.

So, they brought them to my house.

I am not sure if I want roo's or not, so I posted them on Craigslist just to see if anyone would want them. This guy calls me today and tells me he only wants roosters. He said he had 5 acres and wanted roosters for pets. He also said he had only hens. Well, I hear an insane amount of crowing in the background. He says they are his neighbors' chickens. Yeah, right. Then, I tell him the rooster is very tame and not aggressive at all. He huffed, then wanted to pick him up "anyway".

I have not answered his return calls. Something was very shady about this guy and I am thinking he is a cock fighter. He knew NOTHING about chickens when I asked him questions. I think I might have figured a way to keep them from crowing, so I may keep them, but from now on what are the signs of people I should avoid?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Trust your insticts. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

VERY good question... [​IMG]

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Songster

Go with your gut,. it's not worth risking your roos to something like that. they're better off at Freezer Camp!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He could be, and he could also be someone who just eats a lot of chicken and is poor. We have a huge hispanic community out here who often want "chicken" from us, and will take roosters if that is all we have. Their setup in the end is really messy looking, though. . . And who knows.

Usually a way to spot them is, yeah, a look for aggression, but often cockfighters don't want someone's extra roosters. They want something proven. Who knows, though. There are such things as dummies used to train cockerels with, so I'd be very alert on that. Honestly I wouldn't do it if I were you.

6. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Tell him someone came and got them already...

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Just like dog fighters want "bait dogs" .. fighting roosters have to learn confidence somehow .. just sayin'.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Considering the BYC rule

2. No PETA or Cock-fighting posts, period!

It's best we not even start the discussion on here. If you have a bad feeling about anyone who is interested in your birds for any reason, you have a right not to sell to that person.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by