How do i stop ahen from going broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blom545, Nov 23, 2012.

1. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    Hi I have 50 hens but 12 are broody and it looks like more are also becoming broody how do i stop this?it is really slowing down my egg production.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Put then hens, one by one, in a wire bottom cage with only food and water. Broody hens' body temperature goes up and by putting them in the cage you make it very hard for them to maintain that temperature, so after average 3 days they should give up and stop being broody. Also remove any eggs laid asap from the nest boxes. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    Thank you i am taking all the eggs out every day will try what you said.:)

4. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Another thing you could do which is what i do is lock them in a small pen fox proof and hose them down. Little stress then its last thing on their mind offten takes a day but you can do many hens at once and do it in a chicken tractor with the nest boxes locked off less mess ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Texas Granny

Texas Granny New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    My suggestion to you is that you replace your stock with hens that don't go broody rather than torture yourself or the hens with cruel attempts to force the birds not to go broody. If you are seeking hens that will hatch chicks, simply add a few broody hens to your non-broody stock. Any reputable hatchery can assist you in your choices.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would agree with Texas Granny. If eggs are your goal you need stock that are non setters. A white leghorn would rarely go broody. I never try to " break" a broody hen as it is just her motherly instincts kicking in... If anything I try to find some eggs for my broody's to hatch as I love seeing my hens as proud protective loving moms. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Texas Granny

Texas Granny New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank you Smoochie. Around here we focus on the health/happiness of our birds and we too allow our hens to go broody. I am convinced doing so keeps the birds healthier and their feathers in great shape. We don't get the feather shedding most other flocks experience. We never feed hormone laced "laying mash" either, only scratch and our hens all lay year round. That says a lot in the extremes of Texas weather.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by