1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I stop my 7 week old duckling biting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mackie n chicks, May 16, 2016.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    I have four 7 week old ducklings - I got them at 4 weeks old. One of them 'Mobey' has started to become aggressive. She not only nips the others but has started to bite the family and 'hold' onto the bite and not let go. I think this may be an act of becoming 'top duck' however, obviously we don't want her biting us. Has anyone any ideas how to train a dominant duck not to bite? The sooner we act the better. We've had other ducks and never had this problem - however, this is the first time we've brought up ducklings so there may have been a mistake in bringing them up along the way! Any advise would be of help! I keep saying 'no' and holding her beak shut for a small time but that's not stopping it and is it showing voilence to stop violence? Any help or past experience would be highly helpful!

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I don't think I can help much, but if it's any consolation to you, I have a five week old duckling that does the same thing. She has always done it, since she was tiny. I've done my best to ignore her or gently push her bill aside. I'm not sure if it's working, but I also sometimes pick her up when she does it. I think it helps - a little.

3. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    Thanks - at least I know i'm not alone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by