How do I stop my broody girl plucking her feathers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madamerouge, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Madamerouge

Madamerouge New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    Australia
    Hi this is my first post so please be gentle.
    We are new to the world of chickens, we have two aprox 25 week old girls and two 6 week old chicks.
    One of our big girls has become broody. She has never sat on eggs the kids collect them almost as soon as they get laid.
    We have tried pulling her out of the laying box each time she gets in but she keeps returning.
    I am going to try isolating her in a small pen, but the main problem is she has pulled out most of the feathers from her stomach and chest.
    Any advise on how to stop her plucking and break the brood, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If she is plucking or losing them because she is broody, and some of them do, she will stop when you break her. She may also be molting besides being broody this time of year, so she may lose a lot more feathers. For broody breakers I usually just use a large wire dog crate, bottom wire spacing is usually around 1x4". I put a couple of perches in there and hang small food/water dishes on the sides so they can't stand or sit in them. Put the crate out in the open, I tend to put them in the middle of the barn aisle or coop so there is a lot of activity and light. They don't like to walk on the wire so they spend pretty much all the time on the perches, that works pretty well for most of them. Some people have mentioned putting a small fan under them to cool them off even more.

3. Madamerouge

Madamerouge New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    Australia
    Thank you Kelsie2290, I have a small cage that we had the chicks in before we put them in the main coop, I will try putting her in there tonight we have been moving their food and water out of the coop and shut them all out for the day yesterday so she couldn't get in the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by