How do I stop my girls from laying on the floor?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyloumomof2, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Amyloumomof2

Amyloumomof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    I installed 3 nest boxes and at least one of my pullets, but suspect maybe a few are starting to lay. It's always on the floor under the same nest box. :-(. How can I encourage them laying in the boxes I provided. I know at least one is being "checked out" because the shavings are being moved around, but the egg is always on the floor!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It takes a bit for them to get the hang of the whole process sometimes.
    Have you got any "bait" in the nests - golf balls, fake eggs, etc? This is most helpful in encouraging laying in a box as it gives the impression that another hen has already used that location and that means it is a "safe" place to lay their own egg as well.

3. Amyloumomof2

May 8, 2014
    I had a golf ball in all 3 and someone suggested maybe they were afraid of the god balls. So I left one golf ball in one of the nests, but took the others out of the other two. No egg yet today, so we will see what happens if anything today. Should I put the balls back? Or another egg?

4. FeatherFriend14

FeatherFriend14 New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Colombiana OH
    Maybe put some store bought ones in them and see if that works.

5. Amyloumomof2

May 8, 2014
    I have some in my fridge that are getting kind of old anyway. I could put a few of those in.

6. Amyloumomof2

May 8, 2014
    Well I put store bought eggs in the nest boxes and checked on my girls and they were on the floor!! What stubborn girls I have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by