How do I stop my hen laying two eggs a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Metylspydr, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Metylspydr

Metylspydr New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Hi,
    I have two Australorp hens who have both been laying for about 2 months.
    One lays her eggs first thing in the morning, perfect eggs every time.
    The other poor darling is laying mostly every day, but she is laying two eggs at the same time about three or four times a week. So she lays 10 or so eggs a week! Most times the shell is formed properly but the egg is misshapen, but sometimes there is a soft spot about the size of 1cm diameter.
    I've read about hen's laying occasional two eggs a day, but how long til they stop doing it? I'm worried about her calcium levels. I feed them shellgrit and they get Red Hen Layer mix.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to stop her double ovulation? Or will it stop now we're coming into winter here (I'm in South Australia)

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the forum--

It could be since winter is approaching for you, she will reset her ovulation. If you want to try to do something other than wait for nature to take its course, I have heard about confining the chicken to a dark or semi-dark place to reset her ovulation.

Like you, I would worry that her double-ovulation would be pulling too much calcium from her system.

If you have a garage--or basement perhaps you could put her in it in a pet carrier with plenty of feed and water-- for a day or two---and shorten her 'daylight' hours. Only let her see daylight for a couple of hours......

If you decide to give it a try post back to let us know what your results are. --

3. Metylspydr

Metylspydr New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Thankyou for the reply.

I think I'll try your suggestion. I'll have to keep her in a cage in my laundry [​IMG]
    I'll let you know how it goes.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It will be great if that will work. Just think...most people want MORE ovulation. Good luck, I'm subscribed to hear how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by