how do i stop them from laying on floor of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Jan 16, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    found 2 more eggs this morning frozen on floor of coop. i usually go out and collect eggs at 4pm everyday. well i went down this morning and 2 frozen eggs on floor. 2nd time this week iguess i should go out and check again before i go to bed at night.they must be laying them either after 4pm or early am. i usually go down to coop at 730- 800 am and bring them warm water and iv found frozen eggs twice this week on the floor. uggghh .

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:That's annoying. Try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes that you want them to lay in. Are the ones provided comfy? dark? inviting?

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:That's annoying. Try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes that you want them to lay in. Are the ones provided comfy? dark? inviting?

yes there plenty dark and comfy. i know they can lay in the boxes because iv seen them do it.they must just get lazy some days and plop them on the floor. 7 of my other eggs today were layed in the boxes just frustrating lol.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have golf balls in my nest boxes.

5. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Or....you can check the coop floor everytime you go to check! I have found that if the nest box is occupied, they'll dump in the coop. Aint no big problem if you remember to check. Havent found a frozen one yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by