how do I stop water bacteria in my bucket water system

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Oneofthempeople, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I am new to to chickens and just looking to see what people do to stop bacteria build up in there water system. I have 4 chickens and smaller 4x4x4ish coop with a 2'x8' run under it. I made a 4 gallon bucket water system inside the coop that feeds pvc pipes that feeds nipples, 2 inside the coop and 2 outside in the run with a valve shut off to the outside so I can shut the outside down now that winter has set in. The pvc pipe has a temp controlled heat tape on it so it does not freeze and to help keep the coop warm. I have already ran into a problem with bacteria building up in the buckets and I have to take the coop roof off to clean the buckets. I use apple cider vinegar in the water because I was told it would slow the bacteria build up. (not sure how much it has helped). Looking for Ideas of what I can do to stop the problem. Thanks for any Ideas

Duplicate post

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Duplicate post

3. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    yes I have not figured out how to remove post was put in wrong thread

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No problem - please type "duplicate post" under this post so members know not to reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by