how do i store collected eggs till incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

howdy,

i want to hatch some pekin duck eggs from my stock. unfortunately, i have a trio so i will only get two eggs a day. how can i store the eggs i collect every day until i have at least ten? i know you are supposed to keep them cool but in california we already are seeing some 90 degree days. i don't have a single room in the house to keep the eggs in the 60's like i have read. any suggestions?

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I'm a definite rank newbie, but what about finding a cool (relatively), shady spot and dig a small hole to cache the eggs in. You might want to first dig it, place a thermometer in a container and see what type of temps you get. Closer to a foundation might be cooler.

Sometimes hotels remodel and replace those small refrigerators in the rooms....one of those would be *really nice* to stage eggs in.

Just a thought, best wishes,
    Ed

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    They should be fine at 60F...save them up for 7-10 days, big end up in a carton, then set them all at once.
    Happy hatching!

4. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I think monster1's problem is that he/she doesn't have a place that is around 60F to store the eggs.

Ed

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

While 60 degrees is or may be optimal, normal room temperature is fine. I store mine near my incubator in the spare bedroom and it generally stay's around 75 to 78 in there, and I've not had a problem yet.

6. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I'm sure that monster1 appreciates that information...I definitely do!!! Thanks!!!

Ed

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:One of the things that you have to always remember, is that all the information on poultry keeping is usually published from a scientific viewpoint. Scientific research usually is established or completed using optimum settings and controls. And unless you have a scientific laboratory in your back bedroom, you'll have to use a little common sense and find what works best for you. I dont run my air conditioner ANYWHERE near 60 degrees, mostly because I couldn't afford the bill. So normal room temperature will have to work, and it does, otherwise I wouldn't have dozens of eggs starting to hatch today.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  8. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks. i guess room temp should be ok.

monty:)

9. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG] I read to keep the eggs in a turner to get better results... I have a turner just for that... just haven't used it yet.... at least for my own birds. [​IMG] I'm seeing if my chickens will hatch her eggs for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by