how do i store collected eggs till incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. monster1

monster1 Songster

howdy,

i want to hatch some pekin duck eggs from my stock. unfortunately, i have a trio so i will only get two eggs a day. how can i store the eggs i collect every day until i have at least ten? i know you are supposed to keep them cool but in california we already are seeing some 90 degree days. i don't have a single room in the house to keep the eggs in the 60's like i have read. any suggestions?

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I'm a definite rank newbie, but what about finding a cool (relatively), shady spot and dig a small hole to cache the eggs in. You might want to first dig it, place a thermometer in a container and see what type of temps you get. Closer to a foundation might be cooler.

Sometimes hotels remodel and replace those small refrigerators in the rooms....one of those would be *really nice* to stage eggs in.

Just a thought, best wishes,
    Ed

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    They should be fine at 60F...save them up for 7-10 days, big end up in a carton, then set them all at once.
    Happy hatching!

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I think monster1's problem is that he/she doesn't have a place that is around 60F to store the eggs.

Ed

5. While 60 degrees is or may be optimal, normal room temperature is fine. I store mine near my incubator in the spare bedroom and it generally stay's around 75 to 78 in there, and I've not had a problem yet.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I'm sure that monster1 appreciates that information...I definitely do!!! Thanks!!!

Ed

7. Quote:One of the things that you have to always remember, is that all the information on poultry keeping is usually published from a scientific viewpoint. Scientific research usually is established or completed using optimum settings and controls. And unless you have a scientific laboratory in your back bedroom, you'll have to use a little common sense and find what works best for you. I dont run my air conditioner ANYWHERE near 60 degrees, mostly because I couldn't afford the bill. So normal room temperature will have to work, and it does, otherwise I wouldn't have dozens of eggs starting to hatch today.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  8. monster1

monster1 Songster

thanks. i guess room temp should be ok.

monty:)

9. Fancie

Fancie Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG] I read to keep the eggs in a turner to get better results... I have a turner just for that... just haven't used it yet.... at least for my own birds. [​IMG] I'm seeing if my chickens will hatch her eggs for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by