How do I store eggs waiting to go in the incubator? Can you start two different batches of eggs on

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexasAggieChick, Feb 7, 2015.

1. TexasAggieChick

TexasAggieChick New Egg

Jul 18, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    I bought some eggs yesterday and have them sitting pointed side down in a cool place. I want to collect some of my eggs and I am waiting for eggs to come in the mail. I know that they should go in the incubator within a week of being laid. Do I need to do anything to the eggs that are waiting to go in?

Also, can you start two different patches at different times. If so, what about the higher humidity the last three days won't that hurt the eggs that are not to the final three days? Thank you!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    The eggs that are waiting to go in the incubator need to be turned at least 3 times per day. Eggs I'm waiting for to go in sit in cartons as yours are and I prop one end of the carton up and when it's time to turn again I put that side down and prop the other side up. Doing it 3 times per day makes sure they are not sat in the same position 2 nights in a row. Turning them keeps the albumen (egg white) and the yolk from settling too much and keeps the nutrients moving. Shipped eggs should also be left to rest, no turning for 24 hours after you receive them to give the air sacs chance to settle if they have become mishapen or damaged.

As for setting eggs at differing times this is classed as a stagered hatch and personaly is a no no for me. As you pointed out higher humidty for the last three days could play a factor in the hatch rate for younger eggs. Plus with eggs that are hatching the turner should be removed so hatched chicks do not become trapped in it. Therefore meaning you would have to hand turn the younger eggs, opening the incubator would then risk loss of humidity and possible shrink wrapping of due eggs.

It is a catch 22 situation unless you have a seperate incubator/hatcher available.

Wishing you the best of luck.

3. TexasAggieChick

TexasAggieChick New Egg

Jul 18, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    Thank you! The bird in your picture is gorgeous. What kind of chicken is it?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Thanks!! He's a silver lace Polish fizzle called Snowy. A lovely bird very friendly and good with his ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by