How do I take care of a runt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Picklepuss, May 16, 2010.

1. Picklepuss

Picklepuss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    Connecticut
    Long story short, a few weeks ago I posted about 2 orphaned Mallards we have and I bought them frie4nds at TSC. The friends turned out to be Rouen and Khaki Campbell according to what I got for feedback here.

I haven't been paying close attention because we have ducks outside plus dogs and cats and children and i work. Not to say i don't take care of the littles but you know, I am busy. For the past 4 days I have been out of state so my DH has been taking care of the babies. He mentioned he thought one was not doing well so when i got home today i take a peek. One of the Khaki Campells is a runt, about half the size of the other. Boutght the same day, same size.

He/she looks okay to me aside fromt he size issue. Seems to eat and drink fine. No different when it walks. I just want to be sure I'm doing all I can for it because now I'm feeling terrible I didn't pay closer attention before.

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    If she/he is eating well, drinking well, and acting like a normal baby duck, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, Rouens are much large birds than Kahkis. It is very likely you are just seeing is the size difference between the breeds. My Pekins make my Kahkis all look like runts and both breeds are the same age. LOL. I do have one Kahki that truly is small, but she holds her own well and doesn't show any signs of being unhealthy, just small. I keep an eye on her, just to make sure, but so far she is fine.

I totally hear you about being busy. It can be hard to give each animal individual attention. Don't be too hard on yourself. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I agree with chickboss - Khaki's are much smaller than Rouens, and Rouens grow faster because they were bred primarily as a table bird.

As long as the little one is eating and drinking, I'm sure he/she will be fine! [​IMG]

You should, of course, give the little Khaki some extra treats like plain yogurt and peas, just in case! [​IMG]
    I have a big soft spot for Khakis! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  4. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Meeeeee Toooooo!

5. Picklepuss

Picklepuss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    Connecticut
    Sorry I wasn't clear. We have both a Rouen and 2 Khaki Campbell's. One of the Khakis is "normal" sized and the other doesn't look like it's grown much if at all. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow as I am going to work now.

6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Have you been able to get pics? How is the little one doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by