How do I take care of silkies?

I have 2 silkies and mine aren't much different than my regular chickens. They love oatmeal hot or just the oats, they need to be kept away from bully chickens or large chickens that do not accept them. Mine were raised with my other chickens and they get along fine. I provide my 2 girls with oyster shells, and protein such as boiled eggs or mealworms. They free range and stay close to the house they don't venture out. Currently one has a chick with her so she doesn't mind being in a coop separate from the others. I trim my girls "hair" once a year or twice depending if it's blocking their vision. Provide them a dust bath and plenty of fresh water and they should live the best life possible.

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the right place. I breed silkies and showgirls and have found a few things over the years that have improved egg production, feather condition, and over all health. I keep mine on shavings as it sucks the moisture out of the poo so it doesn't stick on their feet. I also provide small dog houses inside their sheds. They like to pile in them and sleep. They don't really roost and really do not like ramps. I feed a 22% crumble. This protein level I have found keeps even my hens that are going thru a molt, laying eggs as well. I have found mites and live love their deep warm feathers so I put one drop of advantage for dogs on the nape of their neck every four weeks. Yes, I got this idea from a vet so it's safe. Just don't use advantix! They like baths if they get super dirty and their fluffy butts tend to collect poo so I cut the fluff back a little on my hens that tend to get poopy butt often. I worm with Valbazen in the spring and in the fall, and mine are out on grass during the summer. Let me know if there is anything in specific you need to know that I missed. These are just what I do and aren't a must but it works for me.

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the right place. I breed silkies and showgirls and have found a few things over the years that have improved egg production, feather condition, and over all health. I keep mine on shavings as it sucks the moisture out of the poo so it doesn't stick on their feet. I also provide small dog houses inside their sheds. They like to pile in them and sleep. They don't really roost and really do not like ramps. I feed a 22% crumble. This protein level I have found keeps even my hens that are going thru a molt, laying eggs as well. I have found mites and live love their deep warm feathers so I put one drop of advantage for dogs on the nape of their neck every four weeks. Yes, I got this idea from a vet so it's safe. Just don't use advantix! They like baths if they get super dirty and their fluffy butts tend to collect poo so I cut the fluff back a little on my hens that tend to get poopy butt often. I worm with Valbazen in the spring and in the fall, and mine are out on grass during the summer. Let me know if there is anything in specific you need to know that I missed. These are just what I do and aren't a must but it works for me.
Thank you so much, this will be really useful! I appreciate it a lot

I have 2 silkies and mine aren't much different than my regular chickens. They love oatmeal hot or just the oats, they need to be kept away from bully chickens or large chickens that do not accept them. Mine were raised with my other chickens and they get along fine. I provide my 2 girls with oyster shells, and protein such as boiled eggs or mealworms. They free range and stay close to the house they don't venture out. Currently one has a chick with her so she doesn't mind being in a coop separate from the others. I trim my girls "hair" once a year or twice depending if it's blocking their vision. Provide them a dust bath and plenty of fresh water and they should live the best life possible.
Thank you, I'm getting the chicks sometimes soon, so this will all go to good use!

Silkies seem to be a predator magnet, due to big crests and beards they aren't as alert as other breeds. They don't fly so this is another handicap. I think they would do better in a predator proof coop and run with top. Solid top can soften impact of the elements, and also provide shade , as well as keeping climbers and raptors OUT.

Thank you, I'm getting the chicks sometimes soon, so this will all go to good use!
Your welcome I wish you the best of luck. Silkies are such a special breed. They are so docile and gentle. This is bad in the chicken world but good for those who like their birds to be friendly. My silkies don't like heights so if they roost inside a coop or something I wouldn't put it to high. Another thing I forgot to mention is the weather. Water is an enemy to them. They do not have the waterproof feathering as other chickens do. They get wet easily and if it's cold this can be very bad. During winter when it would rain I always put my 2 girls up and if they did get wet if blow dry them. Sometimes the feathers on their feet can accumulate mud,dirt,debris so I keep a check on that. Sometimes when it's wet my girls will get mud clumps or these thorny leaves stuck in their feet feathers. If I think of anything else I'll reply once more that's all I can think of based on the 2 that I have.

G’Day from down under Cailey’sChickens :frow Welcome!

BYC has an active Silkie Thread that you may want to check out and possibly join in on.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC also has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom