How do I tell if a chick is female or male

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Top Rooster, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I got 2 chicks recently they are about 2 weeks old one is a buff orphington the other we don't know but all of a sudden the Buff got a nice sized puffy tail it's not feathers it's just a bunch of puff with feathers at the bottom the other chick the other chicke doesn't really have much of a tail yet we know she is hen though but we're not sure about the buff because of his/her large tail at only 2 weeks

2. Hi there and welcome to BYC!

I think that that is too young to tell based on feathering. The main feathering differences come at a couple months I think(I always forget the exact timeline..) and that would be with hackle(at neck) and saddle(just before the tail) feathers before the tail feathers get enormous.

As for a puff of feathers, that's probably just your chick starting to feather out for its first time and just managed to do it first! :)

I wouldn't worry about the chick being male.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Buff Orpingtons are one of those breeds where hens will feather out faster than roosters, so a tail full of feathers will usually mean a female as roosters will often just have wing feathers at that age.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Post a picture please, would help us help you

5. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thanks for posting the pic, unfortunately they're pretty young yet but they are so cute! Post their pics when they're au 6 - 8wks, we'll be looking at their comb/wattle & how they're feathering (saddle/base of tail & hackle/neck). Enjoy them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by