How do I tell if I have a female or male baby chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tweetyburd122, Apr 9, 2017.

1. tweetyburd122

tweetyburd122 Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In the absence of vent-sexing, which is a skill / art that not many of us have it is not possible. Some chickens are bred specifically (hybrids) to exhibit differences in wing feather length or colour of down (e.g. a sex link male will have a white spot on its head from the day of hatch). Otherwise, its a case of waiting 4-6 weeks or so. At that time, there should be discernible physical differences. You can post on this forum, once they are around 6 weeks for confirmation - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If the same breed then it's easy to tell by size of legs and stance of bird. It can still be used for different breeds but without prior experience with chicks and guessing at early age not reliable.

If these were purchased as pullets odds are that's exactly what they are.

4. tweetyburd122

tweetyburd122 Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017

This is my first time owning them. They were just purchased as straight runs they lady doesn't know how to tell if they are f or m. And the person got the from doesn't know if they are a Easter egger or a Easter egger mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by